Thursday, December 3, 2009

Name blocks





I know it has been months since I have posted, but I am back. Summer was way to busy to be crafty and with a house that heated up to way to high tempuratures when the oven was on, there was no baking. But like I said I am back and ready to work.


I actually made these blocks awhile ago and never posted them. They are a really cute project that can be as simple or as difficult as you want.


I found these wood blocks at a craft store. Depending on what name or word you are wanting to spell, you will need a block for each letter. You can get various sizes, just depends on how big you want the blocks. Just make sure that the letters that you chose also fit the blocks.


You can paint the blocks any color you want. I chose to do cream with a pink stripe and dark chocolate brown on the backs. This is the part that you can make easy or hard. The easiest would be to paint them all one color. If you are more crafty and artsy paint different colors or different patterns. Also make sure that the color you chose will allow the letters to be seen.


I started by painting the fronts cream.



After I let them dry I took the easy way and used painters tape and taped where I wanted my stripe to be. I taped each block.



Then painted the exposed block pink.



Let it dry and peel off the tape. You can do any pattern you want or no pattern at all.



Each block is done.



It is hard to tell in this picture, but the backs have been painted dark chocolate.


Once it is all dry apply your letters. I also found these letters at the craft store. There are a variety of letters that you can chose from. And a variety of colors. So have fun with it.


Here are a few variations of blocks that you can do.
This is a long block that I have just painted black. I found different silver words in the scrapbooking section of the craft store, but thought that they would be cute on the block. Really easy, but it looks so cute.


This is the same size of long block as the one above. I painted the whole block cranberry color and then, using some embellishment glue, glued scrapbook paper to the wood and then stuck my letters on top of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment