Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken



It has taken me awhile to get this recipe up here. Everytime I make it for dinner I forget to take pictures of some part of the process. I finally have them all.

The first year and a half I was married my husband told me atleast a few times a month to "Get Jen's sweet and sour chicken recipe". My husband first year of school he lived in the basement of his friends house and his friends wife was Jen. I guess she made this all the time and he loved it. Annoyed, I finally asked her for the recipe (along with several other of my favs she makes). I am so glad that I got it. I make it all the time.



With one boneless skinless breast for each person, dip each breast in a beaten egg, then in cornstarch.


Be sure to fully cover each breast with corn starch.


Pan fry the chicken breast in a thin layer of Oil ( I use extra virgin olive oil) over medium heat. You can use as much or as little oil as you want. I have fried the chicken with just Pam. It fries alright, but the oil adds a little more moisture for the crispy layer. But Pam does work.



Let each side lightly brown. Keep an eye on it so they don't burn. You can keep flipping the breasts until they are cooked through or you can just let them brown.


While the chicken is cooking in a large sauce pan mix together:
2 cups of white sugar
2/3 cups of vinegar
1 cup of water
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp Soya sauce
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tbsp water mixed with 2tsp chicken broth powder



Bring all ingredients to a boil over high heat. Let it boil while the chicken cooks. I usually let it boil for about 10 minutes. Then thicken it with corn starch.


Place in a oven safe dish. Spoon the Sauce over the breast a few times. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

You can prepare all the above steps that morning or the night before and then Bake before serving. But your cook time increases to 1 hour.


Before serving spoon the sauce over the breasts a few times. Serve with rice.


I don't even feel that the pictures do this recipe justice. The crispy outter layer is so good and the sauce is so sweet and is fantastic with Rice.
Served with a Salad or some steamed veggies, this is the perfect dinner.

1 comment:

  1. that looks absolutely delicious!
    if i wasnt living in a kitchen-less college dorm, that's what i would be having for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete