Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sweet Pumpkin Doughnuts



Ok, How cute are these mini-doughnuts. I know, right!! Well not only are they cute but they are good for you!




I got these new pans and I was really wanting to try the recipe that came with them, but I am trying to eat a little better (and by that I mean cut out junk). So I wanted something a little healthier to make with these pans. I got this cookbook and found a recipe for these little doughnuts and I knew I had to make them ASAP. (PS, I really like this cookbook)

Sweet Pumpkin Doughnuts is not the actual name from the cook book; they just called them 'Doughnuts' which is a little vague. I call them Sweet Pumpkin Doughnuts and it describes them perfectly.

Don't worry, if you don't have a mini doughnut pan you can just use a mini-muffin pan. Or get yourself a doughnut pan because any muffin recipe that you make you can turn into a mini doughnut. Fun Fun Fun. I found mine here.



In a bowl beat together;

Sugar
Pumpkin puree
Sweet Potato puree



Add;

Milk
Egg whites
Margarine
Vanilla



Add;

Flour
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Spice



Pour your batter into plastic/pastry bag and cut the tip off one side (not if you are using pastry bag)
Squeese the batter into the pan. (Look at me in action!!)



Be sure to coat your pan with non-stick cooking spray.



Bake at 350 degrees until tops are lightly browned, 20-25 minutes
Turn onto cooling rack.


Dust them with confectioners' sugar.
They are good. They were gone within a few hours at my house. Both my kids and my hubby liked them. I made it with whole wheat flour, I think that regular white flour would give it a completely different taste.
I will be making these again forsure.
Sweet Pumpkin Doughnuts
1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar (I used 1/4cup brown sugar Splenda and 1/4 cup regular brown sugar)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (I froze the rest for another time)
1/2 cup sweet potato puree (I had some in my freezer left over from this)
1/2 cup skim milk
1 large egg white
1tbsp trans-fat-free soft rub margarine
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin spice
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat doughnut or muffin with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, pumpkin, and sweet potato purees. Add the milk, egg white, margarine, and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spice. Mix until completely incorporated


Pour the batter into a large plastic storage bag (ziplock freezer bag) or use a pastry bag). The the bottom tip of one side of the bag. Squeeze the batter into the mold. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are lightly browned or a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Turn the doughnuts onto a wire rack.
Let them cool completely. When cool dust with confectioners sugar.
Makes about 2 dozen mini-doughnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment