Monday, January 10, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies (healthy)



No, there is nothing wrong with your eyes, these cookies are orange. The special ingredient in these cookies makes them orange in color.

I got this recipe from a friend of mine in Cranbrook. I think she has made it her life mission to make every recipe as healthy as possible. But she does a great job because she still keeps the recipes tasting so good (through trial and error I am sure).

The orginal recipe calls for a cup of unsweetened apple sauce, but Heidi switched it to a cup of sweet potato. I think it was a great switch. I thought these cookies were really good.


Start with a large sweet potato and cute into small piece. Cook the sweet potato anyway you like. I steamed mine, but you can boil too.


Once the pieces are soft let them cool. The puree them. I put mine in the blender.


In a medium bowl combine

2 1/2 cups Flour
3 tsp Baking powder
1 1/4 tsp Salt






In another bowl combine:

1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar Splenda (if you want you can use 2 cups regular brown sugar)
1/2 cup butter, softened

Beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.



Add:
2 tbsp Vanilla extract
2 large eggs




The add:
1 cup Pureed Sweet Potato

Beat until blended



Add the flour mixture
and add:
1 cup Chocolate chips


Drop by tablespoon 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray.



Bake at 375 degrees for 10-11 minutes.
Cool on pans for 2 minutes



Removed from pans and cool completely on wire racks



2 comments:

  1. Your picture of the sweet potatoes looks like cut up hotdogs or some other food product made from meat slurry. Those would be some interesting cookies. You should work on making some sort of meat based cookie, preferably bacon or breakfast sausage. Deeee-licious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me (I do know your sister Melissa) but I came across your blog through some blog stalking I am sure :) I just made these cookies and loved them and more importantly my kids love them too. Thanks.
    Sheri Hatch

    ReplyDelete