Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fire Roasted Tomato Chicken Tortilla Soup


It is a long name for soup, but it was so good. Like really good!! I know I always say that, but I always mean it.

The best part about this soup is that it was made in the slow cooker. The past two nights I have made dinner in the slow cooker and it has been so nice. I still have to do prep work, but I can do it earlier in the day when my kids are in better moods and can play by themselves instead of hanging at my feet crying at 5pm when I am try to get dinner going. Slow cooker meant that at 5pm when they are wanting my attention, I could give it to them. It was lovely!

I was in Cranbrook this weekend and saw this cooking magazine at my friends place (Hi Jen) and copied a few recipes out of it, but then just ended up going to buy it anyways. I have a deep love of magazines and of cookbooks, so when I see a cooking magazine, it is like the best of both worlds, I can't turn it down. This current magazine is the Pillsbury Slow Cooker. It has some really good recipes in it.



In slow cooker combine;

chicken thighs
chicken broth
corn
fire roasted tomatoes (you can use regular diced tomatoes if you don't have fire-roasted)
black beans
red pepper
onion
chilli powder
cumin
salt
cayenne pepper


add in 6 corn tortillas, that have been cut into 1/2 inch strips

Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Until chicken is cooked.



Once cooked, remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.



Return it slow cooker



Stir in cilantro



In a frying pan heat oil then fry strips of 3 remaining tortillas until crispy.



Serve soup with avocado and strips and lime wedges (I didn't have limes-but I'm sure it would be good)


1lb bonelss skinless chicken thighs
1 carton (900ml) chicken broth
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 can (14.5oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 medium onion
9 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2tbsp olive oil
lime wedges, if desired
chopped avocado, if desired
In 3-4 quart slow cooker, combine chicken, broth, corn, tomatoes, black beans, red pepper, onion, 6 of the corn tortillas, chilli powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne. Cover, cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked.
Removed chicken and shred with 2 forks. Return to slow cooker. Stir is cilantro.
Heat oil in frying pan. Cook strips from remaining 3 tortilla in oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp and light golden brown. Top individual servings of soup with tortilla strips, lime wedges and avocado.

1 serving= 1 1/4 cups - 350 calories, 11g fat, 22g protien, 9g fiber

2 comments: