Thursday, January 21, 2010

Curry Chicken Vegetable Soup



I made a new goal this year to try lots of different recipes. I like my usuals, but I figured it was time to branch out a little and find some new stuff to eat. Also, I wanted to try to keep it as healthy as possible.

My first new recipe was this curry soup. It was easy to make and really really yummy. And at just 94 calories per 1 cup, it is very healthy.


In a large Sauce pan heat:
1 1/2 tsp olive oil on medium

Add:
3/4 cup Finely chopped celery
3/4 cup finely chopped onion

Cook for about 3 minutes, stiring occasionally, until starting to soften


Add:
1 Medium cooking apple (such as McIntosh), peeled and grated
2 tbsp all-pupose flour
1 tsp curry powder (I added more, because I love curry and wanted a stonger curry flavor)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Heat and stir for 1 minute

Add:
1 cup low sodium prepared chicken broth.

Heat and stir until boiling and thickened.


Add:
4 cups of chicken broth
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used part of a rotissaire chicken)
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed veggies (I used an entire bag of oriental mixed frozen veggies)


Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for 8 minutes to blend flavours

Add 1 tsp lemon juice. Makes about 8 cups.


I served it with Naan bread. and it was so good.


For really good Naan bread. I buy the packaged bread from the store. I think this brand was actually dempsters. I put the bread on a foil covered baking sheet, and brush the bread with melted butter. Then I put on some italian seasoning and sometimes parm. cheese. Bake at 35o degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cut in quaters and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment